Celebrate Earth Day with Us!
April 22 is Earth Day! Let’s talk about our environmental goals as a festival community.
We love our planet, as we know you do too. We strive to make the best environmental choices for the Winnipeg Folk Fest so that we leave no trace on our beautiful Birds Hill Park home. And it can't be done without you, our folk family.
We have two big environmental goals that we need to tackle together this year.
- Reduce the Amount of Landfill Waste in the Festival Campground.
Did you know that the Festival Campground accounts for two-thirds of the total waste generated at the festival? This includes small things that add up like disposable bags, plastic wrap and snack wrappings. But the larger issue is things like broken chairs, tents and tarps being left behind. We need to do better!
- Increase recycling and composting on the Festival Site.
When the plate program was conceived 20 years ago, it was the perfect alternative to reduce landfill waste accumulated by serving ware. In recent years, access to composting and compostable products has improved greatly. We have made the decision to discontinue the use of the orange reusable plates in order to focus on recycling and composting – a better environmental choice for our festival!
How Can You Help?
- Make sure your recycling, compost and garbage go in the correct receptacles. All items provided by our food vendors and taverns are compostable and, since we use industrial composting, ALL food scraps can go in the compost bins and bags!
- If you are bringing meals and snacks into the festival, bring them in reusable containers to reduce packaging accumulated on site.
- Campers: love your gear! Invest in good camping supplies and take care of them so you may enjoy them on many camping trips. If a tent pole breaks or a camp chair rips, the lovely folks at Pollock's Fix-it Shop in the Festival Campground can help you repair it.
- Always pack out what you pack in and take your recycling, compost and garbage to the right places. Our wonderful Enviro volunteers provide campers with clear recycling bags, black garbage bags and green compost bags upon entry. If you run out, visit them at Enviro HQ at trailhead 2 – they're happy to help! And please help them by taking your garbage and recycling to the bins along the trailheads, not leaving your bags by the small bins scattered throughout the festival.
Let's do this, folks! Excited for a great festival of working together as a community to achieve our environmental goals.
Filter by Category
- 2017 (28)
- 2016 (40)
- 2015 (73)
- 2014 (63)