Guest for a Day
Take in the sights, sounds, and tastes of the festival with a seasoned folkie as your guide!
2017 Guest for a Day Applications are Now Open!
Each year, we invite nonprofit community groups to be part of our Guest for a Day (GFAD) program.
This program is designed for people who may not otherwise be able to attend the festival, to come and experience the wonderful music, food and community. We give complimentary tickets to 30 community groups so they can take in the festival's sights, sounds and tastes!
We always strive to support a variety of groups however, preference will be given to groups that have not participated before.
New options this year
We heard you! We collected feedback from all organizations who participated in the GFAD program last year and are committed to ensuring your participants have the best experience possible! So to best serve all guests, the application has become more flexible so you can choose from a variety of options the program offers.
What’s on offer this year, you ask?
Tickets to the festival! You can choose to come to the festival on Friday, July 7 or Sunday, July 9. Each organization is eligible for up to 20 tickets.
Meal vouchers! Our meal vouchers will get you a great meal from one of our participating food vendors. Lunch vouchers are available to all participants. We also have a limited number of dinner vouchers available for those groups who are staying later into the evening of the festival.
Different modes of transportation! Group transportation is available to and from the festival site in a few different ways:
- GFAD BUS – The GFAD bus leaves from the corner of Market Ave & Lily Street (behind the Centennial Concert Hall) at 9:30am on both Friday and Sunday of the festival. There are two options to take this bus back to the corner of Market Ave & Lily Street (behind the Centennial Concert Hall). One bus will leave at 4:30pm and the second bus will leave at 7:30pm.
- FOLK FEST EXPRESS – The Folk Fest Express is our public bus that runs to and from the site. Enjoy fast and convenient bus service, on your own time! Buses run every half-hour from the University of Winnipeg and stop on Festival Drive in Birds Hill Park. Schedules and pick-up information will be on our website in June 2017.
- TRAVEL INDEPENDENTLY – Your organization is welcome to travel independently in your own vehicles. Accessible parking is available near the Main Gate Box Office.
Volunteer Guide! Having a festival expert to show groups around was a big hit with many organizations in 2016, but your group may be comfortable with navigating the site on your own. For the 2017 festival, you will still have a Volunteer Guide for your group and they will meet you upon your arrival to give you your wristbands and meal vouchers. You can choose (in advance) to have their support in one of three ways:
- for the day;
- for a short tour once you arrive;
- simply to greet you and get you into the festival grounds.
Your guide will also be available upon request at the end of the day to ensure you are safely on your way home and, most importantly, to follow up on the great day you'll have had at the festival!
Choose your own arrival time! Your group can arrive on your own time (unless specifically taking the GFAD bus as outlined above). You will need to confirm an arrival time in advance with your Volunteer Guide so they know when to meet you at the gate to give you your wristbands. If your group has staggered arrival times, your Volunteer Guide can meet each smaller group at the gate and show them where to join you once they arrive.
Pre-Festival Open House! We will still offer this for staff of your organization to attend. This is a great opportunity to meet your Volunteer Guide, ask any questions, clarify any needs and ensure your group is best prepared for the festival. We do encourage staff to attend the Open House. The Open House is optional but if you choose not to attend you will need to be in communication with your Volunteer Guide prior to the festival. Your Volunteer Guide will be provided with your contact info and will reach out in advance.
Applications close on April 13, 2017.