Volunteering with the Winnipeg Folk Festival is a rewarding experience and a great way to support the festival!
It’s no secret that the Winnipeg Folk Festival is bursting with pride over its volunteer community. Friendships and great music continue to bring together a community of volunteers dedicated to planning and producing a world-class festival.
2017 Volunteer Registrations are now OPEN!
The key to our success rests in people like you who embody the heart of the Festival and we’re certain this year will be no different! We would love your help in making it happen, and now’s the time to register to volunteer for 2017.
Current volunteers, click here to register for the 2017 festival!
New volunteers, click here for application forms and more info on volunteering.
Join our Facebook group
Keep your contact info up to date at myvolunteerpage.com
Jan 13 - Feb 28: Returning Volunteer Registration
May 31: Kin Pass Applications Due
April - June: Training Sessions (more details TBA)
May - June: Crew Meetings (dates TBA)
June 24: Set-up Day, Birds Hill Park
July 6-9: Winnipeg Folk Fest
July 15: Tear-down Day, Birds Hill Park
Our Commitment to Volunteers
Volunteers are the heart of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We value volunteering as a means for people to share, learn, and connect with our community. We greatly respect the time, skills and dedication that our volunteers bring to the festival each year. We are committed to providing appropriate and safe responsibilities, applicable orientation and training, effective leadership, fair evaluation and meaningful recognition for all volunteers as well as the opportunity to grow, create and engage with others.
What Do We Expect?
As members of our festival community, we all play an important role in the success of the Winnipeg Folk Festival. We bear a responsibility to ourselves, to others and to the organization to uphold the following Standards of Conduct:
We treat everyone with respect (responsibility for oneself)
- be kind and positive, to each other and the public
- contribute to healthy discussion and remain open to other points of view
- focus on solutions rather than problems
- adhere to all general Participant Responsibilities at the festival
We work as a team (responsibility to others)
- share views and information proactively
- offer help when needed
- engage in collaborative problem-solving
- express appreciation for the collective efforts of all
We are ambassadors of the Winnipeg Folk Festival (responsibility to the organization)
- contribute to the organization’s mission and vision
- represent the organization in a positive way, and encourage this positive behavior in others
- respect the property and information of the organization
- celebrate, share and spread the Folk Fest feeling at the festival and year-round
In addition to these Standards of Conduct, we ask the following of all of our volunteers:
- Smile and have fun
- Know what’s expected of you and do your job to the best of your ability
- Fulfill all volunteer responsibilities
- Be prepared for all outdoor conditions as well as any specific requirements for your job
- Arrive on time or early for meetings and scheduled shifts ready to work
- Wear your crew t-shirt while you are on shift
- Wear your access pass for access to: Birds Hill Provincial Park, the festival site, meals backstage, the shuttle bus or Festival Express, the Wrap Up Party
- Make arrangements for the care of your children while you are on shift
- Ensure that you have eaten before your shift
- Not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs while on duty
- Drink responsibly while off duty
- Wait to reserve seating in any of the audience areas until after the gate opens
- Refer media questions involving policy or sensitive issues to festival staff
- Know how to contact your crew coordinator
- Manage your profile through Volunteer Squared, including contact info
- Adhere to the Winnipeg Folk Festival Standards of Conduct
What Do We Offer in Return?
We offer a great benefits package to our volunteers that includes:
- The opportunity to be part of creating a magical experience for over 80,000 people.
- A chance to be part of a volunteer community and make new friends.
- Great work experience.
- A four-day Winnipeg Folk Fest pass with backstage access.
- Delicious, complimentary meals backstage during the festival.
- A crew T-shirt.
- Free bus transportation between downtown Winnipeg and the Folk Fest site.
- Vehicle access to Birds Hill Provincial Park.
- Access to a private volunteer party on Sunday night.